Monday, April 11, 2011

9' #5 Weight Shootout

I've been using a 4 weight rod for the waters I fish for the last several years and lately I've been feeling a little under gunned.  Most of the trout I am landing are in the 10" to 15" range, but I've been landing some pigs that are pushing 20" and I know there are even larger to be found.  For dry flies and nymphing, my 4 weight has worked, but it is not the most fun.  When I want to strip streamers, I've gone to my 6 weight.  Well, I decided it was time to find an all purpose #5 weight rod to do it all.  This is going to be my new rod that I will fish 90% of the time.  I decided to head to Bob Marriotts Fly Fishing Store to compare the Sage Z-Axis to the Sage ZXL.  First off, if you are in Southern California and you are looking for fly fishing gear or information about anything fly fishing, I have yet to find a store that matches Bob Marriotts in customer service.  I can't recommend them enough.  While I was there I also added an Orvis Helios to the mix as well as Sage's budget rod, the Vantage.  All Rods were #5 weight 9 foot rods.
So, what is the best all around #5 weight rod you ask?  Well, ask ten fishermen and you'll probably get as many answers.  For me, I decided to go with Sage.  Maybe because the first rod I ever fell in love with was my buddy's old SP.  Anyway, It also may be that Sage probably sells more fly rods than anyone on the planet.  In fact, the Z-Axis maybe the best selling fly rod on the market today.  Whatever you choose, if you are going to drop roughly $700 on a rod, you might want to cast it first.  So, Kevin Bell, the GM over at Bob Marriotts, strung up a Z-Axis and a ZXL for me. 
I started with the Z-Axis.  First off, I have to say I see why this rod is so popular.  The action is fast, but not too fast and where ever I would look while casting, this rod would shoot it right there.  It loaded beautifully and was wonderfully accurate.  Then I tried the ZXL.  Oh my goodness!  The lust that I was feeling from the Z-Axis quickly turned to love for me.  The ZXL has a little more play in it.  It has a more progressive taper so it feels slightly less stiff.  Power?  Plenty!  I think the Z-axis probably has a bit more power for long casts, but the ZXL just felt like a dream.  It was like and extension of my arm.  I would let the rod do the work for me and BAM! It was as accurate as a sniper scope.  I could "feel" the line load and I could only image how it would feel on the water.
Round 2 came with me comparing the ZXL to the Vantage and the Orvis Helios.  First off, I have to admit you can't really put the Vantage in the same category.  It is Sage's budget rod and it is well crafted, but against the ZXL or Z-Axis it is "clubby", to use Kevin's term.  Really it is a little stiff and clunky.  I'm sure it catches fish, but I can't imagine it being anywhere near as fun as the top of the line Sages.  Now for the Helios.  Unbelievably light!  But I found the weight negligible.  I found the action to be quite fast.  It seemed faster than the Z-axis.  It also seemed a little stiffer.  Although it was the lightest, I didn't enjoy it as much as either the Z-Axis or the ZXL.  It just seemed to be missing something.  What about GLoomis or Winston you ask?  Well, I actually cast a Winston Boron IIX in a #4 weight recently.  I found it to noodley in the tip.  I just didn't care for it.  Now in fairness they are discontinued and the IIIx is coming soon.  Kevin said it is a nice upgrade and quite fun.  So, if you like Winston or any other rod, head to Bob Marriotts and cast away.

No comments:

Post a Comment