Saturday, April 23, 2011

Mike Iaconelli the most hated Fishing Pro...

How about Mike Iaconelli profiled as the 6th "most-hated" athlete in pro sports? He is the company of Kobe Bryant, Kurt Busch, Curt Shcilling & Terrell Owens. Brent Chapman, Denny Brauer and Bernie Schultz all chime in. The piece on GQ.com starts here and ends here. And how about pro bass fishing included as a pro sport? About time.

I am on the fence when it comes to Ike, at times its been a bit overdone, its hard to take him serious and believe that it is all genuine. When you look back at his Classic victory, I believe that was 100% raw emotion and it was "real". On the other hand, the more & more of you see him every week on Bass Saturday, you start to wonder if it is a bit of a stunt. I do think if some of the pros showed a bit more emotion it would be good for the sport. Granted, I do not scream like Ike, but if I land a key fish in a big tournament, you can bet there will be a fist pump or two and it jacks me up and gets the adrenaline flowing. Fan want to see that excitement and emotion to a certain degree. That's part of the reason Charlie Moore is still on TV. I thought Ike's book is very informational and has great info for those that are interested in pursuing a bass fishing career.

I believe that while Ike's antics are somewhat a Mirage, there will be a trend towards more guys like Ike, Skeet, Swindle and Quinn. These guys in general are attracting a wider audinece to the sport. There is a place for them, just as much as a need and a place for Brauer, Clunn & Nixon.

In the end, Ike is good for bass fishing, you and I are talking about it and GQ labeled Bass Fishing a Professional Sport, you cannot argue that is good for us all.Fishing Hook Sizes

No comments:

Post a Comment