Monday, April 18, 2011

Fly fishing Louisiana next week: Gulf Coast fly patterns

I’ve been working away at the vise this spring, getting ready for a trip down to the bayou to chase Redfish with Flywater Travel in New Orleans. I’ve never chased redfish and hadn’t found much information on fly patterns for that specific area, but that didn’t stop me. I started tying, and here are a bunch of the flies I came up with. Some articulated patterns, ripping off the Sex Dungeon, some flies that look a little like the Avalon Permit fly, and a bunch of rubber legs. Sure, I could just rely on our guides to provide flies, but what fun would that be?



We’ll have a clearer idea of what works and what doesn’t next week, and will do some instructional videos when we get back with the winners. I’ve also included some shots of offshore patterns we’re taking with us out of Venice, LA for a day chasing bull dolphin (Mahi) and tuna out in the Gulf. Stay tuned for fuzzy reports form Bourbon St.

No comments:

Post a Comment